Thursday, September 28, 2006

Perfect Shot

“I saw it with my own eyes. He’s dead. He took on the pirate and the quicker man won. Guess you’re without a hit man now.” I told Boss.

He didn’t even hesitate before barking his next order at me over the pearl. “Fine! You take care of him and Bruto’s share of the reward is yours.”

“I think I’ll pass. Did I mention I find kidnap offensive? I think you forgot I hate you. How about I kill you and take the entire reward just so I can feel better about this whole experience? Who exactly ordered this murder anyways?” I was really beginning to feel like I was in control now and I liked it.

“We’ve already gone over this. He’s the murdering pirate, remember?” He said with a defensive whine.

“Yeah, so I’ve heard. Take it up with a judge. I’m a thief remember and I wasn’t exactly asked nicely to join you so now I’ve changed my mind. I’m not only not going to help you, I’m going to personally ensure you don’t lay a finger on his man. If he’s the criminal you say he is then let the law of the land handle it.”

He didn’t reply back. All I got was silence. He really was a weasely kind of man and without his very large friend he seemed to have lost his bite.

I continued to follow Beldin at a safe distance as he walked slowly down the street staring at the slip of paper he found on the Dark Knight. He seemed oblivious to everything around him, completely enveloped in his thoughts. I wondered if he knew who this employer was.

Beldin neared the gate out to East Ronfaure when I spotted Boss sneaking up behind him with a dagger in his hand. The rat should have been easy prey for the pirate but he simply wasn’t paying attention. From my high vantage point on the walkway above the courtyard I did the only thing I could from that distance. My arrow split the air with a audible whoosh. Before it even hit the ground between the two men, the pirate dove to the side.

“Now he’s paying attention.” I thought to myself. I intended the shot to warn Boss that I was still watching him and was fully ready to stand in the way of his goal. The coward Hume ran for the gate and zoned into East Ronfaure before Beldin even knew what happened. The Elvaan looked up at me with a bewildered expression. I had to chuckle to myself. As far as he could tell I had intended to kill him and missed. I waved a friendly goodbye and used Utsusemi: Ichi to disappear before he came after me like he had Bruto.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go after the "boss", I like how you turned the tabels. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite you later.

Oh and I am sure I'm not the only one reading this, but I will continute to check/read it everyday. Great stuff!

Alison the Amazing Thief said...

Yay! I'm glad youre still enjoying it. Thanks for all the great comments and encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Ow, now you did it, Beldin is sure to kill you. What did you not injure boss?