Sunday, October 08, 2006

Good Morning

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I woke up to the sound of Rover gnawing on my bed post. The wyvern has been teething lately and getting into everything. For some reason he seems to have a fondness for my things. My guess would be because my love of cookies leaves a sugary smell on all of my belongings but it might be that he knows I have a soft spot for him despite all my yelling.

I stumbled bare footed into the linkshell lounge to call for Garness, Rover’s master.

“Garness, wake up and get Rover off my bed post! I haven’t even broken this bed in after the last one he ate.”

*Silence*

Really it’s impossible to wake that Galka a moment before he’s good and ready and I really didn’t have the energy to put effort into it this early. I’m not exactly good at mornings.

Brodie was sitting quietly on the sofa reading with a steaming cup of coffee. “Good morning Beautiful.” He said with a smile.

Oh the guilt. I remembered what I had done. It’s not like Brodie and I were officially bound to each other but still I felt there was an unspoken commitment and I had betrayed it.

He got up and wrapped a blanket around my shoulders and pushed my wild bed head hair out of my face. “Have a bad night’s sleep?” He asked. “Come sit down for a few minutes.”

In other words he was trying to tell me I looked like I had been run over by a pack of dhalmels. I kinda felt like it. Sleep wasn’t coming easy even before Rover had cut it short.

I really think I should take up drinking. I’ve never been much of a drinker but this might be the time. I’ve noticed it makes for a very convenient excuse for bad behavior. Maybe I was missing out on a good thing there. I could be living the wild life, free of bounds and then blame it all one too many Norg’s Notorious.

I shook my head and chuckled to myself. I knew I never would. My proper Elvaan upbringing would not allow me to act like a wild Bastokian. Guilt is too much of a driving force in my life. No amount of intoxication would sooth my conscience enough for me to abandon my personal code of conduct.

Brodie interrupted my thoughts as he handed me a plate of pumpkin bread and a cup of extra rich hot chocolate.

“I woke Garness for you. He should come out for Rover soon. I didn’t want to be bitten again so I left the wyvern alone. I don’t think he likes me. Maybe he thinks I tell him no too often.” He sat down next to me and continued to read the notorious monster guide he was studying when I interrupted him.

Right on cue Garness stumbled out with his eyes closed knocking over an end table with his shin. He yelled what I can only imagine is some Windurstian swear word and called for Rover. The Galka tossed a raptor steak into Rover’s feed bucket and what was left of my bed post was spared.

“Thanks big guy and good morning. I think I’ll let you wait until after Rover is finished teething to buy me another new bed.” I grinned with delight to see someone else struggling this morning. I am an evil woman.

Garness just grunted and staggered into the kitchen to scavenge.

I watched Brodie read as I held my hot chocolate. If he found my staring unnerving he never said so. He was a good man.

He smiled and reached his arm around my shoulders pulling me in close to kiss my forehead. “So what’s on your mind that you did not drink your hot chocolate yet?” he asked.

I looked up but Garness had not yet emerged from the kitchen. “I met someone during a besieged this week.” I muttered.

“Oh really? Anyone interesting?” he asked.

“He kissed me.” I said sheepishly.

Brodie turned to face me squarely with a serious look on his face. “And did you kiss him?”

“Well no. I hit him.” I replied.

“Do you want me to hit him some more? Murder is fine too. Some men just need a good murdering to get them on the right path.” He said.

“Well, no. I think that would be overkill, no pun intended. I think I can handle it. So you’re not mad?” I asked.

“Mad? No, it sounds like you have it under control. I know you can handle yourself. I’m always willing to help if you want me to though.” His face softened into a warm smile again and he pulled me into his chest and leaned his head on mine. “When you’re happy I’m happy.”

Ouch. Guilt. Really the conversation was very anti-climatic. I really expected a little more emotion. I was almost worried that he didn’t get more upset but I didn’t want to mess up a good thing with over thinking.

I sipped my hot chocolate and wrinkled my nose setting it down due to lack of hotness in my chocolate. I guess I shouldn’t have waited so long.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey again.

I just wanted to let you know that yes, I am still reading this blog, and I still love your writing style. I just enver have any time to comment because of school and work. :P

Nice post though, keep it up!

Sincerely,

Alex

Anonymous said...

Dammit, I hate typoing in these comments.

Alison the Amazing Thief said...

Aw thanks Bariko. I really do appreciate it. I get the feeling I'm down to you as my only blog reader outside of my linkshell friends which is ok cause I write it for them anyways.

The last on, "Beldin" had to be one of my favorites. I wrote it after watching last weeks Grey's Anatomy so it’s kind of a tribute. I love that show. So much stupid that it makes me feel better about myself. Ever seen it?

Anyways, as long as my linkshell keeps doing crazy stuff for me to write about I'll keep up the stories.

The next one is a bit of a struggle but I'll post it by Friday if I can work out the details.

Alison the Amazing Thief said...

Ok wait, that's not fair. I'm counting at least three readers still. My mistake. lol Don't mind me.

Thistle said...

Some men just need a good murdering to get them on the right path.

Heehee. :)

Anonymous said...

Alison,

You might not see this comment anytime soon, seeing as how it's a story from October 8th. However, I just wanted to let you know that you do indeed have other readers... I really enjoy your stories and I've been reading from the begining upto this story so far... I've enjoyed them so much that I'm gonna try to read through them all before Christmas... If you don't hear (read?) from me before then, I'll make another comment once I get to your most recent post.

Anyways, keep up the good work! 2885 counter hits to your overall blog so far! Congrats ^^ I hope to be your 3000th reader in the future someday...

Take Care,
Boswen

Alison the Amazing Thief said...

Thanks Boswen. I'm glad to have a new person reading these and to hear you like them. Comments are like crack to me. I just can't get enough. I actually get an email with each comment so I wont miss yours even if they are on older post so comment away. ^.-

Now lets see if you actually check here to get my reply. o.o LOL

Anonymous said...

Indeed, I did check back... Actually, I couldn't remember where I made this post so I had to search through your blog manually... Did you remove the "August/September/etc 2006 Archive" links that showed all your posts from a given month, or did my browser have some kind of error?

Anyways, I've read some more stories since last I posted, and I'm on track to finish by Christmas. However, I forgot to update my bookmark (I re-bookmark with the name of the post I'm on each time I stop ^^).

I talked to Jumpingtaru again and he said he'd give you a message for me...

{Take care.}
~Bos