Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Meeting in the Moonlight


*Image by Votm*

It was impossible to sleep with the yowling. My head was still fuzzy with dreams as I tried to determine where it was coming from. Getting up and peering out my window on my tippy toes I could see the moonlight glowing off her ruffled hair.

I pursed my lips. Poor mithra. With my own troubles I had not been as sensitive as I should have been to her worry. Gathering a plate of cookies and a wide glass of milk I shuffled outside sleepily. The wet grass chilled my feet quickly and I regretted forgetting shoes.

She drank eagerly. “Hi.” I said simply.

“Hi.” She said with a whimper and a sniffle.

“Full moon. Very pretty.”

She nodded and scooted closer grabbing a cookie in each hand. “Why isn’t he back yet? He can’t be dead.” She said with a quiver in her voice.

Wrapping my arms around her I kissed the top of her soft plume-like hair. “I just don’t feel it in my heart that he’s dead Jenjen. I know he’s been gone and not said a peep but I just don’t feel it.”

“Altana kept him. I just know it.” She yowled again and buried her face against my arm her hot tears chilling on my skin only served to remind me that it was too cold to be outside like this.

“Give him time. We both know how unpredictable Beldin can be. I’m sure his reason isn’t a good one but I’m sure he’ll pop up soon.”

“That’s not what you said about Brodie.” She spat out almost spitefully.

I had to pause a moment as twang of pain shot through my heart at the thought.

Wide eyed she looked up at me apologetically. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bring it up like that.”

I smiled to reassure her but I had to look down at the ground away from her eyes. “It was the feeling. I knew as soon as the water swallowed him I would never see him again. I pray that I am wrong but…” my voice trailed off.

“All I feel is frantic. I’m desperate to tell him I love him. We were fighting and…” She started yowling again and her angry tail slapped my back.

“He knows and I expect him to walk around the corner any moment with that self-assured look on his face expecting us all to throw him a welcome home party for a hero.”

She sat up to look around as if she thought I had seen him coming. Sighing deep and hard she slumped down and drew her knees up to rest her head. “Can I ask you about your secret yet?”

I was a little startled by this sudden change of topic.

“I’m sorry but I need to think of something else and I have been really good not to say anything yet because I understand why you wouldn’t want to say anything. It must be really hard for you.” Jenjen started stuffing cookies in her mouth like she hadn’t eaten all week.

“I don’t know what you mean.” I said a bit wide eyed and grateful for the darkness.

“The baby.” She said through a mouth full of cookie.

I gasped and my heart raced. If she knew than who else did too?

“The fainting, throwing up all the time, your pants are way too tight even though you have hardly been eating a thing lately and you’re forever sleeping. You knew you were pregnant right?” she said as she angled her face under mine to look questioningly into my eyes.

I nodded and looked at her with pleading eyes. “You can’t tell anyone! No one can know.”

Wide eyed and gaping mouth she asked. “Who’s the father?”

“Brodie.” I said as a surprise tear rolled down my cheek.

“He’s a hume.” She whispered as if she thought I might not know.

I nodded.

“You’re an elvaan.” She continued as if she hoped that might help her point sink in.

I looked at her and she handed me a cookie. “Who is it really?” she whispered. “I won’t tell.”

Her ears where completely erect and attentive as she chewed a bite while she waited for me to answer. I didn’t.

“Wow…” she said. “You really are in a pickle. “I can understand why you wouldn’t want anyone to know you got pregnant while you were newly married to a hume. You can tell me what happened. We’re like sisters now. You can trust me to help.”

“That’s the thing Jenjen. It was only Brodie. I have Brodie’s baby.” I don’t think she believed me from the look on her face.

“I’m so glad its out. I won’t tell anyone your secret. I’m going to help you. I love babies.” I could tell her normal bounce was returning as she grew in excitement. I’m not sure if it was over the thought of a baby coming or if it was being the soul trustee of my greatest secret but I was glad to have someone to share it with.

“What are you doing outside at this time of night?” She said as she popped up and pulled on my arm. “You can’t be chilled in your condition.”

We both turned as a bush shook and a goblin ran out. “Odd, don’t they usually run toward people?” I questioned.

“I bet we scared him. We are extra mighty.” She smiled.

She wasn’t concerned but I had been around long enough to know that was not normal behavior for a goblin. It could be my motherly instincts making me more protective but I was eager to get inside away from the prying eyes of night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cute Ali... very cute. Jenjen's behavior... purrrfect. ^^
would have liked to wake the neighborhood by shield bashing the gobby as he ran off >.> but oh well.. cant be everywhere all the time :)

Anonymous said...

>.> I think that Gobbies going to cause some trouble...

Anonymous said...

^^ you have me down pat its kind of scary at times but as for the gob *runs after it claws out* GET BACK HERE ><