Friday, August 24, 2007

Job for Thieves



An arrow bounced off the wall behind us. “Yeah, we hear you too.” Two figures stepped out about thirty feet away from us with evil looking smiles and chuckling. “There is a fee for coming into our territory. Hand over anything of value and you can live.”

Slidding down off of Tastywaffles Kammy still had a handful of his coat in her hands unwilling to step out from behind him just yet.

Not very tough or very smart looking for that matter and I had a really hard time taking them seriously. They seemed to match the description of the group we had been told about. “They’ll know where Pete the Meat is hiding.” I whispered to Gurok.

“I was thinking the same thing.” He said.

“It sure would have been nice to surprise them instead of the other way around.” I said with a crooked frown.

“Lozzi! Crazy story about how I lost your linkpearl. I’ve been meaning to catch up with you soon.” Kallo smiled and approached one of them.

Tearing off her face mask she threw it at him. “You dog! This one dies. Then we can get his fee off his cold body.” Face twisted with rage she spun around aiming a high kick to his head. She had the musculature of a miniature galka and was defiantly not the kind of woman I would want angry at me.

Grabbing her foot he pushed her off balance. “Don’t be angry Doll. I have just been busy with work. I need to be able to afford the life you deserve.” He whined in an insincere tone. It was no wonder she looked so angry.

Kammy was muttering softly and lifted her hand toward the heavens as she whispered. “Slow down Lozzi” and a slow spell was cast with a gentle glow of her aura. Without a hesitation she started another spell with quiet concentration.

Still guarding Kammy with his body, Tastywaffles called sweetly to a dire bat that listened intently as it chirped back at him. Kallo seemed busy catching up with his lady friend.

“Let’s go ‘question’ the other one.” Gurok said as he was approaching the second man.

Drawing his sword the warrior stood his ground as Gurok confidently strode towards him. “All your gil!” the hume demanded nervously.

“We just want to talk.” Gurok said with that twisted grin of his as he drew his own sword in response.

“We don’t mean you any harm. We need to know where Pete the Meat can be found.” I said sweetly as to not provoke him.

As the warrior lunged at me and I dodged behind Gurok. Frowning Gurok swung his shield around bashing it into the hume’s face knocking him off his feet and leaving him cross eyed and stunned.

“I don’t think he wants to talk. Might as well kill him.” Gurok said as he lifted his foot to stomp on the man.

“I want to talk!” he squealed as he covered his eyes and curled up in a fetal position.

Smiling Gurok put his foot down harmlessly on the ground.

Kallo was still busy getting the stuffing beat out of him by his very burly woman friend but at the moment he appeared to have the upper hand as he sat on her and had her arms pinned down. “Why the hostility Doll?” he said before she spat at him somehow managing to roll him over and get the upper hand.

“Don’t call me Doll. I’m going to strangle you with my own hands.” She growled through clinched teeth.

In a furry of clawed toes and wings the dire bat attacked the woman’s face. She shrieked and batted at it trying to get it off of her giving Kallo a chance to regain his feet. Sinking its teeth into her neck and wrapping its wings around her tightly it drained her blood thirstily as she tried in vain to get it off her.

“Sleep her Kammy.” Tastywaffles asked calmly.

Kammy went to work muttering her spell as quickly as she could. Casting seemed to take away all of her nervousness and endow her with a grace and power that only added to the mithra’s beauty. “Sleep Lozzi.” Kammy commanded and without a struggle the tough as nails monk fell to the floor and looked as peaceful and harmless as a sleeping child.

Tastywaffles called his winged friend back to his side and petted its tiny furry head.

Everyone’s attention now was on the man on the ground who rolled and picked up his sword.

“I’ve got him!” Martin shouted as he leapt off a near by rock using his weight to drive his sword into the heart of the man we wanted to question.

“Martin No!” I shouted but too late. The hume disappeared only leaving a hole in the rock where the sword had shattered it.

“He home pointed.” Tastywaffles said with a sigh and we all turned and glared at Martin.

“Where did Martin come from?” Kammy asked.

“What? Why the dirty looks? It looked to me like you were in battle with these people. I was just doing what needed to be done. We are here to kill the people responsible for Brodie’s murder right? I got that one. Yay me!” Martin looked a little confused.

“Yes, but I wanted this man to tell me where Pete the Meat can be found.” I said with a sigh as I hugged Martin hello. “I’m glad you came to help.”

“I would never miss it.”

“I have an idea.” I said as I turned my attention to my linkshell. “Garness we found the general area. There is a woman here I’m pretty sure we can follow to their main base. Can you bring your group and wait just outside of the gold doors? I’m going to lure them out past the door. If you are hidden I’ll run them to you so we can surround them and get the upper hand.”

“Sounds good fearless leader. We are a little busy right now but we’ll get there as fast as we can.” Garness replied sounding a bit out of breath.

“Kallo, this is a job for you and me. Everyone else should wait here.” I instructed.

“I don’t think so. I’m coming too.” Gurok said as he stepped closer.

“Gurok this is job for thieves and you know it. We need to be undetectable as we follow her back to the man we want and we need to be sure we can stay just out of reach until we get back to the main group here at the door. You know that’s my specialty. Let me do this my way.” I asked. “We need to hurry before she wakes up.”

Gurok grunted and nodded unhappily as he found a place to hide and wait with the others.

The monk groaned and started to stir as Kallo and I hid ourselves and watched.

6 comments:

Kallo said...

/sigh. If I didn't have such a soft spot for woman, I wouldn't have minded putting that Monk in her place.

Alas, what more can I do when caught off guard...no way to poison drinks like that. =\

But, Ooh and Ahh...Kallo and Alison in a deep, dark, damp cavern all by themselves >.>;

/suspense & /excitement

Anonymous said...

Cool entry Alison...the plot thickens ~.^
Watch that Kallo though...he's shifty =P

Anonymous said...

lol.. Kallo got smacked around by a female monk.. then got saved by a bat.. then thinks he gets to ooh and ahh... should be more like oww and awww.. Ali sweetheart, let him beat something up next time, give the man some of his pride back. Camis might have been a better choice of thieves to bring along, I'll see if he is available for you.

Kallo said...

~.^ All part of my plan big guy...and you can poke fun, and make jokes all you want...but I'll still be the one lurking in the shadows with Miss Alison...

And you'll still be waiting around with the rest of the crew. ^.~

Sometimes...the road less traveled is turns out to be the better choice. ^.^

Anonymous said...

and sometimes it turns out to simply be a dusty old road with nothing to offer.. but either way you worry me not.. I must however say thank you for including me in your story. I got a good chuckle.. and those are few n far for me, so I tip my helm to you.

Guankim said...

Yep, you two can go fight over elsewhere. Hehe. Does look like an interesting one. You guys really need a red mage around, sheesh. xD