Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Chaperone


“She asked me to chaperone her wedding.” I had to grin to myself as I heard the words roll off my tongue.

“Jen told me. Congratulations, that’s quite an honor.” Kjarbo said.

I sat quietly for a few minutes and listened to the buzz of the summer insects and breathed in the warm smell of the lush grass. I loved sitting here in the sunshine meditating on my life thus far and relaxing from the pressure to succeed that often caused me so much tension while in this adventure’s program.

“There is more to the story.” I said as I pulled my knees up to my chin and stared off into the trees pretending to keep an eye out for Jaggedy Earred Jack.

“I know.” He said. He pulled out a box of sugar cookies from his bag and handed me one with a warm smile.

Wide eyed I sat up looking him in the eyes to search for an explanation. I hardly noticed the sugary treat in my hand. “How could this new comer know about my complicated feelings?” I thought to myself.

“She knows.” He said simply.

“I see. I guess that’s a good thing. I’m not a fan of too many secrets. Makes things too complicated.” I leaned my head on my hand and nibbled the edges of the soft cookie and licked the sugar crystals off my lips. “Thank you.”

“If you need to talk, I don’t mind.” He said sincerely.

Scooting over to hug his arm and lean my head against his shoulder I felt like I was smiling from the instead out. “I’ve noticed and I’m very grateful. I’m glad you decided to stay around for awhile. You’re very soothing to me and it’s a refreshing change of emotion.”

“It’s been my pleasure my lady.” He smiled as he pulled me in for a gentle rocking hug.

“The linkshell wants me to plan a bachelorette party. What am I going to do? I’ve never even been to one.” I looked up into his eyes searching for anything.

“Alison, I’m afraid you have asked the wrong man.” With that he leaned back and indulged in a deep unsympathetic belly laugh.

I was on my own to figure it out but I had to make sure this event was one to be remembered. I wanted to make it clear that I supported this union whole heartedly.

2 comments:

Guankim said...

Bachelorette parties? Hmmm, now there are some of those little cakes around here somewhere and just add a few years to that magic, I think...

Anonymous said...

Aye, and a bit of ale to wash it all down with.